From Kristen Bell and Kelly Clarkson to the Obamas and the Pope, check out these little digital holiday greetings from famous families.
From left to right: Kristen Bell, Los Angeles, 2009. Jaguar PS | Shutterstock.com. Reese Witherspoon, Cannes, France, 2012. Featureflash Photo Agency | Shutterstock.com. Rob Lowe, Los Angeles, 2015. Featureflash Photo Agency | Shutterstock.com
Of the million things to love about Christmas, scrolling through holiday family pictures and sorting through stacks of photo-cards from our favorite people ranks high on the list. I love seeing how much a friend’s kids have grown in the last year, or be able to post a festive picture of relatives on the fridge.
While it’s true that some Christmas photos lean “fake”—behind the scenes we know there is probably a mom is yelling at everyone to adjust their clothes, stand still, stop teasing their siblings, put away the bunny ears and just smile, please—it’s nice to celebrate the season with a snapshot, especially one to share with friends and family (whether in the mail or on Facebook). It’s a happy moment to look back on during future Christmastimes and say, “remember when…”
As I scroll through Instagram feed, I can see that I’m not alone. And even the most famous of families are joining in the fun: putting their most cheerful feet and faces forward to wish everyone a happy holiday—and they feel like little digital Christmas cards. So, without further ado, here are some of my favorite Christmas posts from celebrities this season:
The Spanish royal family
Carta de navidad de la Familia Real Española 🎄 Christmas Card of the Spanish Royal Family #ReyesdeEspaña #ReyFelipeVI #SMelReyFelipeVI #KingFelipeVI #SMlaReinaLetizia #ReinaLetizia #QueenLetizia #QueenLetiziaOfSpain #SARlaPrincesadeAsturias #CrownPrincessLeonor #PrincesadeAsturias #PrincesaLeonor #SARlaInfantaSofía #InfantaSofía #InfantaSofíaofSpain #MonarquíaEspañola #FamiliaRealEspañola #CasaReal #CasadeBorbón #BorbónOrtiz #SpanishMonarchy #SpanishRoyalFamily #TheSpanishRoyalFamily
The Spanish royal family, to me, is an example of Christmas card perfection. Smiling faces, natural poses, reds, greens … and that adorable reindeer sweater.
This sweet post from the Big Little Lies star is colorful, cute and crafty. But above all it reminds me that Christmas really is an exercise in faith—and not just in Santa—but in the beauty of Christ. What a wonderful time of year to believe!
Kristin Bell always makes us laugh, so it’s not surprising that she celebrates the season by making (and wearing) ugly sweaters. Even better: the one she is holding up in this photo is for a beautiful cause! Some of the best Christmas cards are ones with a message of giving.
* EN: Christmas is a great time of joy also expressed outwardly, but it is above all a religious event which requires spiritual preparation. * PT: O Natal é um dia de grande alegria, também exterior, mas é principalmente um acontecimento religioso, por isso é necessária uma preparação espiritual. * ES: La Navidad es un día de gran alegría, también exterior; pero es principalmente un acontecimiento religioso, por lo que es necesaria una preparación espiritual. * IT: Il Natale è un giorno di grande gioia anche esteriore, ma è soprattutto un avvenimento religioso per cui è necessaria una preparazione spirituale. * FR: Noël est un jour de grande joie visible aussi extérieurement, mais c'est surtout un événement religieux pour lequel on a besoin d'une préparation spirituelle. #advent, #advento, #adviento, #avvento
If the pope mailed you a Christmas card, it would probably say this: “Christmas is a great time of joy also expressed outwardly, but it is above all a religious event which requires spiritual preparation.”
The Pioneer Woman
The Pioneer Woman isn’t always on a dry, dusty ranch! I love seeing families hitting their favorite vacation spots during the holidays—spending a few fun days that bring everyone together is one of the wonderful virtues of Christmastime.
This Christmas photo is too sweet. Fresh off releasing her remake of It’s Quiet Uptown on Hamilton Mixtape, Kelly Clarkson and daughter River snapped this picture while attending the Nashville Christmas Parade together (where Clarkson was named the Grande Marshall of the event).
Kelly Ripa shared a classic: a couple in front of a cozy Christmas tree. These two have celebrated 20 Christmases together as husband and wife!
The Obama family
Here’s a sneak peek at the Obama’s 2016 Christmas card. I love seeing how much Sasha and Malia have grown since they first entered the White House eight years ago!
There’s nothing nicer than a Christmas at home, just hanging out without your hair or makeup done. Actress Katherine Heigl shared this casual photo with her followers, showing off her homemade Christmas decor for her tree, and it feels so naturally festive.
The Holderness Family
The Holderness Family, one of our favorite YouTube funny families, shares an outtake from their recent Christmas video, which reminds us to begin our New Year with a bit of Silent Night. Not bad advice!
Walking in a winter wonderland! I think Kristin and her hubby playing in the snow makes for the perfect Christmas mailer.
And sometimes you just want to share the joy of a huge, fully-decorated Christmas tree, like this one from Rob Lowe’s living room. You don’t need to make your Christmas cards or posts a photo of yourself or your family, so long as it celebrates the spirit of the season and says Merry Christmas to you and yours.
- 9 expert tips for a calmer, happier child’s bedroom
- How to overcome your insecurities during sex
- Simple style: The only weekend outfit you need
- When Chris Pratt is homesick, this is his go-to Bible verse
- How Audrey Hepburn defied the Oscars red carpet
- 26 simple & unique cross necklaces
- Mistakes in life happen, even at the Oscars
- Mistakes in life happen, even at the Oscars
- The ‘best dress’ at the Oscars that everyone should be talking about
- This baby detected his mother’s breast cancer, saving her life
- The health benefits of having a ‘good cry,’ explained by a psychologist
- In defense of skipping the gym
- The Oscars: Six who will win… and six who should
- Are you an introvert? How to be confident in social situations
- These adorable Instagram triplets will melt your heart (PHOTOS)
- Is the wedding night your first time? Let these pointers give you peace of mind