The star of ‘Passengers’ reflected on the death of his father and how it has changed his parenting ‘to-do list.’
Chris Pratt, the star of the new movie Passengers, recently opened up about his father’s death and how it’s affected the way Pratt parents his two kids with Anna Faris. His father died in 2014, but the actor says he hadn’t fully grieved the loss until more recently, when he was filming Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.
MORE TO READ: Chris Pratt’s next big project: his family
In an interview with British GQ, Pratt said: “The truth is I ripped open some wounds that had been healing for some time. And I didn’t want to. But I knew it was right for the moment … There are wounds that are never going to be totally healed. It would probably make for a better story if it was some emotional thing that I hadn’t dealt with … When we face the death of a parent, you sometimes feel regret that you didn’t fully embrace what you had.”
The death of the parent is destabilizing—it makes you realize how fleeting your time with your kids is. Pratt has commented in the past that his dad’s passing has altered his parenting “to-do list”:
Your to do list:— chris pratt (@prattprattpratt) September 5, 2015
3)teach them to fish
Thanks Dad. Miss you man. pic.twitter.com/xvc83AMiSr
Pratt is a hugely popular movie star—he’s good-looking, a family man, and faithful. But I think a lot of his appeal is that he’s a rugged “man’s-man” (something he obviously got from his own dad!) who’s obviously very attuned to his son’s wants and needs. In a culture that often de-emphasizes the importance of fathers as something that’s “optional,” it’s so refreshing when a Hollywood star, even inadvertently, sends a message that fathers are not only important, they are critical in shaping our children into whole beings, and carrying these values and traits onto the next generation.
First thing on my Christmas list for my husband and kids? A fishing pole.
- 3 easy, healthy breakfast ideas to energize your weekday mornings
- Why I need to believe in guardian angels on earth
- I’m a hugger of a mother—here’s why you should be one, too
- Jake Gyllenhaal sings haunting 33-year-old song about a 133-year-old painting (VIDEO)
- All the DIY Valentine’s Day card inspiration you need
- Need a hug? ‘Loubie’ the golden retriever can make it all better (PHOTOS)
- Are the Grammys becoming irrelevant?
- Young beauty bloggers let Dad narrate their makeup tutorials (VIDEOS)
- 26 simple & unique cross necklaces
- 10 U.S. cities that can mentally transport you to Europe
- Is ‘Dabbing’ disrespectful, or did I miss the memo?
- 6 decadent—and deceptively healthy—chocolate desserts
- Do our children inherently think men are smarter than women?
- Drowned toddler recovers after miraculous response to prayers
- How to practice Scandinavian ‘lagom’: When enough is just enough
- What C.S. Lewis can teach us about true love